jueves, 12 de diciembre de 2013

Using films in classroom.


This week we have learned with Raquel how we can use films in classroom as a way of teaching.We were remember about how we worked with films when we were children and the majority of these answers were that teachers used films like a prize or award when we had a good behavior or when we finished a topic, but not as a way of teaching.Moreover we did not do anything with the films , we only watched it and even sometimes it was a time to sleep.


From my point of view, films are a great resource for teachers to use with students,because with films, children are able to maintain the attention in a story; moreover, they are able to make a summary of the film when they finish of watching it,and it means that they have understand it.
Teachers should use the advantages of learning using films,instead watching them like  a prize.
When i was young I remember when we had a history exam at teh school, that sometimes i looked for the film about the event which i had to study and films help me a lot to retain the information about the event.It was a great method for learning!I am sure that you have done it sometime too!

These are some advantages about the use of films in classroom.


-Improved visual literacy
-Enhanced understanding of how to construct a narrative which is useful across the curriculum
-Greater sense of relevance to education
-Better understanding of our media
-Enhanced discussion skills
-Improved self-esteem and self-confidence
-Greater appreciation of culture and democratic society
-Increased sense of enfranchisement and citizenship.
-Research skills
-Analysis skills
-Team-working skills
- Planning skills
- Organization skills
- Flexible thinking and multi-tasking skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Personal motivation skills
- Computing, communication and technology skills skills
-Criticism and self-criticism (including peer-reviewing skills) skills
-Social awareness skills
-Moral responsibility skills
-Presentation (both personal and project-related) skills.




When we put that in practice, we were watching Mulan and Raquel made a set of groups and each group had a question about the film which we have to be able to answers when we finish it. These are some examples of these questions:
-What the role’s men in this film? How they are depicted? What are their qualities? What are their weaknesses?
-What the role’s women in this film? How they are depicted? What are their qualities? What are their weaknesses?
-Who is the hero is the story? What is her/his conflict?
-What is the moral of the story?
-….
Then, we had to join the groups to summarize the information about the question and then share this information to all the class.To finalize here i give you my favourite part of the film:





This activity surprise to me because we can see the plenty of topics that appear in the film which we have to talk about in classroom with children. In mi opinion is a great way to learn! What do you think? Can you tell me another way to use films in classroom?


2 comentarios:

  1. Hi Maria!

    First of all, I want to congratulate your blog because I think that it is well done.

    Relate to your post, I agree with you. Films had been considered as a prize for children when they have finished an activity. Obviously, films are good resources for children because they will pay attention in the class. In our case, Mulan is useful for this because the students met the story and they will be more involved.

    From my point of view we can use this methodology in our classes to introduce the children in the topic. In my opinion, films are a good way to introduce the topic or conclude it.

    Furthermore, I think that you should include how films can contribute to learning in CLIL. I consider that it is important to involve this methodology with CLIL because we can obtain better results.

    I remember that Raquel gave us an activity about the 4 Cs. In this activity, we had to organize the advantages of using films in a classroom. I think that it is a good way to observe the advantages of films because in a future, we should to choose the film that includes our objectives. I mean, it important to select that film includes 4 cs.

    As a conclusion, I consider that films can help students to arrows interest in students, to involve in English culture and to help in pronunciation and listening.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello María!
    Congratulations for your post!I can not finish this activity in class because i had problems as you know but i would like to finish it because mulan is one my favourite films, I have watched it a lot of times.
    I also think like you, that films are a usefull resource for doing in classrrom because as you said is a good method for retain information of any topic, an also films envolve a lot of topics too.
    Moreover the fact of putting films in classrrom are very funny and motivate for children.
    I am sure that I will use it when I get a teacher!
    One idea that I want to share with you it is to create an enviroment relate with the film which involves the costums and the culture appear in the film, is a way to improve their knowledge about other cultures.
    I hope you like mi idea!Your information about what you were doing at the classroom has been very usefull for me.

    Regards.
    Natalia

    ResponderEliminar